sponsors

Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Why doesn't America air subbed anime?






Why don't we air subbed anime on TV in America? I never could figure out a good reason for that. Turn to national geographic any given day, and you'll see foreigners and subtitles, so it's not like we are completely against subtitles, so why not air a subbed anime on adult swim, syfy, or even Spike? I know some people prefer their dubs and thats cool. Some anime I refuse to watch subbed. Have you ever heard Goku's Japanese voice? It just ain't right, man.

   Dubbing anime has ruined some otherwise good and entertaining shows. Funimation, who I normally love, almost completely ruined Sgt. Frog for me, by americanizing a lot of the jokes, with corny pop culture references. There were several times where I had to be reminded that it wasn't a kid show when I heard Tamama or Giroro swear. Sometimes dubbing can kill the entire vibe of a show. I refuse to believe that A-Channel could maintain the same level of charm it has, if it were to get dubbed. Its not just the context, but the voices often time add a lot to a show's appeal. A prime example is Franky from One Piece. Franky is one of my favorite characters in the original, but dubbed he is bland and generic sounding.

  At the end of the day, it's just pointless not to air anime subbed on TV, and there is no real reason not to air it in it's original format, if it's ones aimed at adults or teens. I can understand ones aimed at kids, because maybe they can't read that fast, but for shows like Bleach and Naruto, there is no real reason. America, stop being difficult and give us subbed anime on TV.

3 comments: