sponsors

Saturday, August 3, 2013

Chibifying Makes Anime Funnier


Admit it! Chibis are just as funny looking as they are cutesy. Throwing a chibi in the middle of any anime almost instantly guarantees a funny scene. There's just something funny about seeing an otherwise serious character drawn with a big ole head, little body, and over the top emoticon-esque facial expressions. One of my favorite animes, A-Channel, is drawn entirely in what I call a semi chibi art style. The character's almost have normal proportions by anime standards, but the main characters still have big chibi heads and facial expressions, even though some other characters such as the teachers are drawn normally. That blend makes it funny to look at just about any given scene.

  I think the only thing missing from chibi styled anime, is a serious slice of life type of story, or an intense action done entirely chibified. It would be hard for me not to laugh at it though. look at those big frickin heads dang it! Still, its worth a shot to try it out. I remember reading the manga, Ninku, who's protagonist was chibi as heck, and it was actually pretty good. That is proof that it can be done. I'm still actively searching for a good chibi anime to recommend. Here's hoping I find a good one worth of our highest possible score: Pineapple.

No comments:

Post a Comment